Workers compensation insurers

In brief

Licensed insurers sell workers compensation insurance, manage claims and help people recover after workplace injury or illness in NSW.

SIRA licenses and regulates the Nominal Insurer (icare), and all self and specialised insurers in the NSW workers compensation system.

We expect licensed insurers to operate in accordance with the:

Other key guides include the:

You can find out more about our regulatory requirements on our pages Insurer compliance and Insurer performance pages.


Visit our Forms page


Visit our Publications page for fees orders and various guidelines.

Further information

Insurers need to a licence from SIRA to operate as a self or specialised insurer in the NSW workers compensation system. Find out how to apply to be a self or specialised insurer.