Education or training assistance payments

This payment helps eligible workers with some of the costs that can be associated with returning to work.

Return to work assistance payments only apply to services provided and costs incurred on or after 29 April 2016.

The information provided does not apply to:

  • exempt categories of workers (police officers, paramedics or fire fighters)
  • coal miners
  • volunteers prescribed by the Workers Compensation (Bush Fire, Emergency and Rescue Services) Act 1987, or other voluntary work or unpaid employment.

What is it?

You (the worker) might need to participate in training to improve your readiness for work. These payments can assist with course costs to support return to work.

A cumulative total of up to $8,000 can be claimed for expenses that may include:

  • course fees
  • other related expenses (eg text books, travel).


To claim education or training assistance you must:

  • have been assessed as having a permanent impairment of more than 20 per cent
  • have received weekly payments of compensation (paid or payable) for a period of more than 78 weeks
  • participate in  education or training that is consistent with your injury management plan
  • ensure that the education or training assistance is provided by:
    • a registered training organisation
    • a registered higher education provider.

How to claim this payment

Contact the insurer and provide a completed training application form.

The insurer will determine your eligibility within 21 days.

If you do not meet the criteria for education or training assistance, you may be eligible for an alternative program, click here for more details.

To help understand your entitlements, head to the Have you been injured at work? app. This provides a breakdown of your entitlements.


If the insurer disputes your claim, you can find more information on how to have the decision reviewed on the liability disputes page.

Alternatively, you may contact the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office (WIRO) on 13 94 76 for assistance in resolving an enquiry, or a complaint about the dispute.