New employment assistance payments

This payment helps eligible workers with some of the costs that can be associated with returning to work.

Return to work assistance payments only apply to services provided and costs incurred on or after 29 April 2016. In addition, it does not apply to:

What is it?

You can claim new employment assistance if you can’t return to work with your pre-injury employer because of your injury.

A cumulative total of up to $1,000 can be claimed for expenses involved in returning to work with a new employer, including:

  • transport (eg public transport or motor vehicle registration)
  • childcare
  • clothing
  • education or training (eg industry licences or certificates)
  • equipment (eg tools of trade)
  • any similar service or assistance.


You can access new employment assistance if:

  • you can’t return to work with your pre-injury employer because of your injury
  • you have accepted an offer of employment with a new employer (this must be made in writing) for three months or more
  • new employment assistance will help you to return to work.

How to claim this payment

Contact the insurer and provide:

  • your written offer of employment for a period of three months or more with a new employer
  • an explanation of how the item or service will help you to commence employment
  • the amount being claimed along with supporting quotes and invoices.

The insurer will:

  • determine your eligibility within 14 days
  • provide payment for the cost of the item(s) or service(s).

If you do not meet the criteria for new employment assistance or need help with additional costs, you may be eligible for an alternative program.

To help understand your entitlements, head to the Have you been injured? webapp. This resource provides a breakdown of your entitlements.


If the insurer disputes liability for your claim, you can find more information on how to have the decision reviewed on your liability disputes page.