Who is exempt?

Most employers in NSW are legally required to have a workers compensation policy to protect them from the costs of workers compensation claims.

You may only be exempt if you:

  • pay $7500 or less in annual wages, and
  • don't employ an apprentice or trainee, and
  • are not a member of related businesses in a group for premium purposes, and
  • are not involved in:

Exempt employers still have responsibilities

Even if you are exempt from needing a policy, you still must provide assistance with injury management and return to work.

If an injured worker makes a claim, you need to:

  • call us on 13 10 50 and we will arrange for icare to manage it
  • pay a $175 administration fee.

If your conditions change in a way that affects your obligations (for example, you pay more than $7500 a year in wages), you must contact an insurer immediately and take out a workers compensation policy.