What is a Green Slip?

A Green Slip is an insurance policy that you must take out to be able to register your vehicle in NSW. It provides compensation for people injured in a motor vehicle accident.

What it covers

If you’re a person injured (but not at fault) in a motor vehicle accident, you can make a claim for a range of benefits including past and future medical treatment and rehabilitation costs, care costs and economic losses, as well as payments for pain and suffering (in some circumstances).

If you’re a person injured (and at fault), your Green Slip may provide limited cover, up to first $5000 of treatment costs and lost income incurred in the first six months after an accident.

An injured person can include:

  • you
  • your passengers
  • someone else driving your vehicle
  • motorbike riders and pillion passengers
  • cyclists, pedestrians and other road users and their passengers

The benefits you may receive may be reduced if the accident or your injuries were partly your fault. You would be partly at fault if, for example, you were:

  • driving at an unsafe speed
  • travelling in a vehicle when you knew the driver was affected by alcohol or drugs
  • not wearing a seatbelt
  • not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or bicycle
  • driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Your Green Slip provides cover not just in NSW, but across Australia, 24 hours a day.

Special protections

Your Green Slip may provide special protection in some cases. These can include:


All children under 16 who are residents of NSW and injured in motor accident in NSW are covered by a Green Slip, regardless of who is at fault.

Close relative dies

You may be able to claim benefits if a close relative dies in an accident caused partly or completely by another driver.

People with severe injury

Anyone who sustains a severe injury will be eligible for the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme, regardless of who is at fault. icare provides treatment rehabilitation and care for those with severe injuries including spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, amputations, severe burns or permanent blindness.

Blameless accident

Where no driver is at fault in a motor accident, those injured (except for the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident) may be covered through their Green Slip.

Examples of a ‘blameless’ accident could be when the vehicle has an unexplained failure or a driver has a stroke and causes an accident.

What it doesn’t cover

Green Slips don’t cover the cost of damaged vehicles or property.

Types of Green Slips

You buy your Green Slip when you are registering your vehicle. You can’t register your vehicle without one.

You have a choice on the length of cover:

  • 12 months
  • 6 months (for most vehicles weighing under 4.5 tonnes)

You can only register your vehicle for as long as you are covered by your Green Slip.

Once your Green Slip expires, your vehicle registration becomes invalid and you must renew with a new Green Slip.

Other options than a six or 12 month Green Slip are available to fleet owners and motor dealers.

Limited road access vehicles

These are vehicles that you mostly use off-road. They can include:

  • all-terrain vehicles
  • historic vehicles
  • certain recreational and purpose built vehicles

You may be able to take out conditional registration or an unregistered vehicle permit for these vehicles.