We adopt a risk based approach to determine the measures that inform tiering classifications for self-insurers.
We regularly monitor self-insurer performance against the tier measures for conduct, claims management and financial ability. Self-insurers receive regular feedback from us in relation to their performance against these standards.
The tiered supervisory model acknowledges exemplary and acceptable workers compensation performance. It also detects risks to the achievement of workers compensation system objectives, prompting us to make a risk-based regulatory response.
The model includes:
- top tier: a self-insurer is classified as top tier if they meet top and mid-tier measures. To meet top tier measures, the self-insurer demonstrates exemplary performance in the following areas of data quality, case management practice, focus on RTW outcomes and prevention and resolution of complaints.
- mid tier: recognised as meeting SIRA’s acceptable standards in accordance with the licence conditions.
- low tier: a self-insurer is classified as low tier where they do not meet mid-tier measures. Regulatory action is taken with low tier insurers to ensure an improvement in performance to at least mid-tier standards. The low tier is intended to be a short term placement allocation for self-insurers that they are performing below the mid-tier standard. The self-insurer must improve their performance in order to move to a higher tier or risk losing their licence.
- not assessed yet or 'under review': self-insurers who have been operating within the system for less than 12 months are not assessed. We have the discretion to review any self-insurer's tiering level for any reason or risk.
At a minimum, we formally tier each self-insurer on an annual basis. Formal tiering can also occur at any other time where we determine there is new evidence relating to performance or risk which requires regulatory action or a review of the performance rating. This may include, but is not limited to a licence renewal, a change in the performance of a self-insurer (either an improvement or deterioration in performance) or a self-insurer entering liquidation.
The self-insurer tiering status (as at 30 June 2020) is as follows:
The top-tier self-insurer performers (in alphabetical order) are*:
- Ausgrid Management Pty Limited
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
- Brambles Industries Limited
- Brickworks Limited
- Colin Joss & Co Pty Limited
- Council of the City of Blacktown
- Council of the City of Newcastle
- CSR Limited
- Endeavour Energy Network Management Pty Limited
- Fairfield City Council
- Fletcher International Exports Pty Limited
- Hawkesbury City Council
- Healius Limited
- NSW Trains
- Shoalhaven City Council
- Southern Meats Pty Ltd
- Sutherland Shire Council
- 3M Australia Pty Limited
- Transport Service of NSW (STA Group)
- University of New South Wales
- University of Wollongong
*As at 30 June 2020.
The mid-tier self-insurer performers (in alphabetical order) are*:
- BlueScope Steel Limited
- BOC Limited
- Campbelltown City Council
- Canterbury-Bankstown Council
- Central Coast Council
- Council of the City of Lake Macquarie
- Council of the City of Sydney
- Holcim (Australia) Holdings Pty Limited
- Inghams Enterprises Pty Limited
- ISS Property Services Pty Ltd
- Jeld-Wen Australia Pty Ltd
- Liverpool City Council
- Mars Australia Pty Ltd
- Myer Holdings Limited
- Northern Co-operative Meat Company Limited
- Qantas Airways Limited
- Sydney Trains
- The Star Entertainment Group Limited
- Unilever Australia (Holdings) Pty Ltd
- Veolia Environmental Services (Australia) Pty Limited
- Westpac Banking Corporation
*As at 30 June 2020
The low-tier self-insurer performers (in alphabetical order) are*:
- Council of the City of Wollongong
- McDonald’s Australia Holdings Limited
- Northern Beaches Council
- Toll Holdings Limited
- Ventia Australia Pty Ltd
*As at 11 January 2021
The new self-insurers not yet assessed (in alphabetical order) are:
- Aldi Stores (A Limited Partnership)
- Australian Unity Limited
- Austube Mills Pty Ltd
- Boral Limited
- Coca-Cola Amatil Ltd
- Commonwealth Steel Company Pty Ltd
- DAC Finance Pty Ltd
- Estia Investments Pty Ltd
- Liberty OneSteel (Manufacturing) Pty Ltd
- OneSteel Recycling Pty Ltd
- OneSteel Trading Pty Ltd
- Persol Australia Holdings Pty Ltd
- Randstad Holdings Pty Ltd
- RGF Staffing One Pty Ltd
- Tomago Aluminium Co Pty Ltd
- Wesfarmers Ltd
*As at 30 June 2020.
The under review self-insurers (in alphabetical order) are*:
- Coles Group Limited
- Woolworths Group Limited
*As at 30 June 2020.