Lie down with a soft pillow under your neck, and with your knees bent up.
Exercise 1: The chin nod exercise
- Gently and slowly nod your head forward as if to say ‘yes’.
- Feel the muscles at the front of your neck.
- Stop the nodding action just before you feel the front muscles hardening.
- Hold the nod position for five seconds and then relax.
- Gently move your head back to the normal start position.
- Repeat up to 10 times.
Exercise 2: Head rotation
- Gently turn your head from one side to the other.
- Look where you are going.
- Progressively aim to turn your head far enough so your chin is in line with your shoulder and you can see the wall in line with your shoulder.
- Repeat 10 times to each side.
Exercise 3: Shoulder blade exercise
- This exercise will relax and ease any tension in the muscles on top of your shoulders and it will give you pain relief.
- Lie on your right side with your arm resting up on two pillows. (See photo a, below.)
- Roll your left shoulder blade back and across your ribs towards the centre of your back. (See photo b, below.)
- Hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat five times.
- Repeat lying on the left side for the right shoulder blade.