You can do these exercises at work, in the car, on a train or bus and sitting at home.
Exercise 4: Correct postural position
- Correct your posture regularly by gently straightening up your lower back and pelvis (sit tall).
- Now gently draw your shoulder blades back and down.
- Gently tuck your chin in. Hold the position with ease for at least 10 seconds.
- This position will prevent and ease muscle pain and tension in your neck and shoulder muscles.
- Repeat the correction regularly, every half hour during the day.
Exercise 5: Neck retraction
- Sit in the correct postural position described in exercise 4, above.
- Gently draw your head back, sliding your chin back horizontally and keeping your nose pointing straight ahead. You should feel the retraction movement at the base of your neck and your neck should stay long. (See photos a and b, below)
- Repeat this 10 times every hour when sitting.