Resolving a dispute

If you disagree with a decision, there are options available to you.

A dispute about your entitlements

The Workers Compensation Independent Review Office (WIRO) oversees the independent legal assistance and review service (ILARS).

ILARS provides funding to external lawyers if you wish to dispute your compensation entitlements.

Information regarding legal funding, including the Section 39 Fast Track ILARS Grant Application Form is available on the WIRO website.

A dispute about entitlement weeks

If you disagree on the number of entitlement weeks paid (or payable), discuss it directly with your insurer as soon as possible, in advance of 260 weeks.

If your dispute cannot be resolved, you can contact us - / 13 10 50, or the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office (WIRO) on 13 94 76.

A dispute about permanent impairment

If you disagree with your permanent impairment assessment, you can initiate your own assessment.

If this results in a different outcome to that of your insurer you can dispute your permanent impairment assessment:

  • request a review by the insurer
  • contact the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office (WIRO) on 13 94 76
  • lodge a dispute with the Workers Compensation Commission.