Centrelink assistance

Under workers compensation legislation, weekly payments are available for a maximum (aggregate) period of five years (260 weeks). This applies unless the worker has been assessed as having a permanent impairment of more than 20 per cent.

If you are no longer entitled to receive weekly payments under the Workers Compensation Act 1987, you may be entitled to Centrelink assistance.

You can apply to Centrelink up to 13 weeks in advance of cessation of weekly payments by obtaining a letter from your insurer confirming the:

  • agreed total number of weekly payments paid to date
  • projected date of your last weekly payment
  • the reason for the cessation of your weekly payments.

You should also supply:

  • up to date medical certification and other supporting information about your health conditions (within the last four weeks of your application)
  • relevant financial information (including details of any lump sum amount and date of payment, spouse’s earnings etc.)

Centrelink assess each application based on individual circumstances.

Before you apply you need to complete a self-assessment online to determine the type of benefits that may be available to you. You can also call them on 13 24 68.

You will also need to ensure you have created a MyGov account.