Certificate of capacity

The certificate of capacity is used by the insurer to make decisions about your capacity for work and entitlement to compensation.

The certificate of capacity will also help the insurer to develop any injury management plan required  with you and your employer concerning the treatment, rehabilitation and retraining you need to return to work .

It should have a clear medical diagnosis using acceptable medical terminology and identify any reasonably necessary treatment.

The nominated treating doctor or treating specialist medical practitioner is responsible for completing their part of the certificate of capacity.

The certificate of capacity helps your employer to provide you with suitable employment to recover at work with appropriate support.

When completing the 'capacity' section, the doctor will be certifying whether you have capacity for:

  • pre-injury duties
  • some type of employment or
  • no current work capacity
  • If you have capacity for some type of employment, the doctor must complete the hours and days of which you have capacity to perform suitable employment.

If the doctor certifies that you have no current work capacity, they must estimate the time you need to regain work capacity.

They may also recommend referral to a workplace rehabilitation provider.

The certificate of capacity cannot exceed a 28 day period without your doctor providing clinical reasoning. It also cannot be backdated by more than 90 days.

These documents may also be useful:


You should sign the consent section of the form to enable communication about your injury between your treating health practitionersr, the insurer,  your employer and any workplace rehabilitation provider. The consent will also allow  information about your injury and claim to be provided to us if the need arises.


You are required to complete the declaration as to whether or not you have been engaged in any form of employment or in self-employment or voluntary work for which you receive or are entitled to receive payment in money or otherwise since you last provided a certificate before sending the certificate to your employer or the insurer (after your consultation with the medical practitioner).

The worker declaration does not need to be completed by exempt categories of worker. Exempt workers are police officers, paramedics and firefighters, volunteer bush fire fighters or emergency services volunteers.

Further information


Sometimes there can be disputes about compensation.  If there’s a dispute, there’s help available Our workers compensation disputes section has more information.