Report an injury

Workers must notify their employer if they sustain a work related injury or illness.

When you receive a notification of a workplace injury, there are some things you must do as an employer:

These include:

Notifying SafeWork NSW

If a notifiable incident occurs, you must notify SafeWork NSW immediately on 13 10 50 because an urgent investigation might be required and the incident site might need to be preserved until an inspector attends.

A ‘notifiable incident’ under the work health and safety legislation relates to:

  • the death of a person
  • a serious injury or illness of a person
  • a dangerous incident

Significant penalties apply if you fail to notify an incident.

Safe Work Australia have a notifying fact sheet with more information about what constitutes a serious injury or illness or a dangerous incident.

SafeWork NSW may provide counselling and support for those affected by a notifiable incident.

Register of injuries

If you are an employer then you must keep a register to record any injuries regardless of whether there has been a claim.

The register of injuries must include the following details of each injury:

  • name of the injured worker
  • the worker's address
  • the worker's age at the time of injury
  • the worker's occupation at the time of injury
  • the industry in which the worker was engaged at the time of injury
  • the time and date of injury
  • the nature of the injury
  • the cause of the injury

The register of injuries may be kept in writing or be electronic (like on a computer). A record of each notifiable incident must also be kept.

There are penalties for failing to keep a register of injuries.

SafeWork NSW has a standard template you can use.

Notifying the insurer

You can notify the insurer of a work-related injury if you are a(n):

  • employer
  • worker
  • representative of either the worker or employer (such as a doctor or union representative).

This is called the 'initial notification'.

As the notifier, you must provide the following information to the insurer.

  • Name
  • Contact details
  • Business name
  • Business contact details
Treating doctor (where relevant)
  • Name
  • Name of medical centre or hospital
  • Date of the injury or the period over which the injury emerged
  • Time of the injury
  • Description of how the injury happened
  • Description of the injury
  • Name
  • Relationship to the worker or employer
  • Contact details (including phone number and postal address)

The insurer may request more information if the above information is incomplete or further information is required.

To learn more, please refer to the Guidelines for claiming workers compensation.

Further information

Problems reporting a workplace injury

If you’re a worker and your employer has not notified  SafeWork NSW or the insurer, or will not provide you with their workers compensation insurance policy number, we can help. Call 13 10 50 for assistance.