Support services to help injured people

There are a range of support services for injured people. We list some of them below.

If you are injured in a motor accident in NSW on or after 1 December 2017, you can claim for a range of personal injury benefits for up to 26 weeks.

Benefits are payable, even if you are the driver at fault in a crash – unless you are charged with a serious driving offence in connection with your accident, or you were the at-fault driver of an uninsured vehicle.

If you are found to be at fault or mostly at fault, or your injury is minor, your statutory benefits will stop after 26 weeks.

If the accident was work related, you can still make a claim under CTP insurance but you are not eligible for CTP benefits while you are also entitled to workers compensation. However, if workers compensation benefits stopped being payable, for example after 5 years, you may then be able to start receiving CTP benefits for treatment and care. The latest you can make your CTP claim is three months after workers compensation ceases to be payable, but consider making a CTP claim as early as possible after the accident to cover yourself, even if the accident was work related.

We're here to help

If you need help, call SIRA’s CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 between 8.30 am-5 pm weekdays. Or you can email

If you leave a voice message or email after hours, we will call you back the next business day.

If you would like to seek legal advice you can contact CTP Assist to discuss your options or contact the NSW Law Society.

Help from Centrelink

If you need ongoing financial support, you can apply for Centrelink assistance.

You can start your Centrelink application up to 13 weeks before your income support payments stop. All you need is a letter from your insurer confirming:

  • total number of income support payments paid to date
  • the projected date of your last payment
  • the reason for stopping your payments.

Centrelink will also need:

  • an up to date medical certificate and other information about your health in the past four weeks
  • relevant financial information, including details of any lump sum payments you have received, your spouse’s earnings etc.

You can start a Centrelink application before your CTP payments stop, however it cannot be finalised until the day after your CTP payments have stopped.

Centrelink assesses each application based on individual circumstances.

Before you apply you need to complete an online self-assessment to determine the type of benefits that may be available to you. If you need help call Centrelink on 13 24 68.

Community support services

There are additional support services within the community that may be available to you, depending on your circumstances

Further information

Contact the insurer managing your claim or call CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 between 8.30 am-5 pm weekdays, or email

You can also seek advice from a lawyer. The Law Society of NSW can give you information about finding a lawyer in NSW.