A work trial enables you to stay active and develop new skills which can have positive effects on your recovery after a work related injury.
What is it?
When your pre-injury employer is unable to provide suitable work, a work trial places you (the trainee) with a new employer (host employer) for a short-term work arrangement of up to 12 weeks.
The work trial program is a voluntary short term work arrangement that provides you with suitable work.
As a trainee you can keep active and:
- improve your capacity to return to your pre-injury job, or
- develop skills, knowledge, and experience in order to obtain a new job
- demonstrate your ability to a potential employer.
You don’t receive payment from your host employer during the work trial but you continue to receive weekly payments from the insurer.
The insurer or SIRA will pay for travel to and from the workplace as well as essential equipment to perform your work trial duties.
Read the work trial guidance material for more information.
- Work trial program information for workers
- Work trial program information for potential host employers
You are eligible if you:
- are receiving or entitled to receive weekly workers compensation payments
- have capacity to work but your employer can’t provide suitable duties
- haven’t accepted a commutation or work injury damages settlement.
Employers are eligible if they:
- don’t have a workers compensation liability to you
- have no current employer/employee relationship with you
- hold a current workers compensation policy or self-insurer licence
- are not attached to your pre-injury employer by way of an insurance policy or insurance licence.
How to apply
- help you find a work trial host employers and conduct a workplace assessment to match your capacity to the requirements of the job.
- arrange completion of the vocational program details form and the work trial agreement (so you can start the program)
- organise insurer approval
- organise payment for program costs using the vocational claim for payment form
- complete the vocational program closure report form (to record the outcome of the trial)
They should also use the work trial check list.