This page explains what workers need to know about the new Merit Review Portal.
What is the Merit Review Portal?
A new online platform called the Merit Review Portal is now available for SIRA’s Workers Compensation Merit Review Service (MRS). It provides another way for workers and their representatives to request a review of an insurer work capacity decision. It also allows insurers to reply and track the status of applications online.
Why has it been introduced?
- Improved accessibility – use the portal on any device, 24/7.
- Easier to meet submission deadlines.
- Greater transparency in the merit review process.
- Greater transparency through the exchange and availability of all information online.
What are the key benefits for workers?
The Merit Review Portal will:
- be in one centralised online location so you can access and monitor the progress of your merit review application easily
- improve accessibility so you can use it 24/7 on any device, whether that is your desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone
- reduce the time for information exchange so your application is processed more efficiently
- allow you to track the status of your application in real time so you always know what is going on and what the next step in the process will be
- allow greater transparency as you, the insurer and any representatives, are able to see all documents relating to the review in one online location
- provide another way for workers and insurers to interact and communicate, making the process and submission deadlines easier
- be easy-to-use and easy-to-follow, removing the need to download, print and post forms.
What are the key changes for workers?
The online Merit Review Portal is an additional digital service. To use it, you must have an internet connection, email address and capable digital device. This could be a desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone. Workers can still access the Merit Review Service through traditional channels. Paper or emailed applications will still be accepted.
How do I access the portal?
You can access the Merit Review Portal via www.sira.nsw.gov.au/workcapacitydecisionreviews and create an account. All you need to create an account is your name and email address.
What will remain the same?
The merit review process itself remains the same, it is just moving online.
Insurers are still required to:
- respond to the worker’s initial merit review application and supply the same documentation to support their decision regarding the worker’s work capacity.
- submit their reply to the worker’s application to SIRA. The only change is how that information is submitted to and categorised for the Merit Review team
- correspond with workers/representatives via their preferred method of communication.
The system has been automated, but the people helping you remain the same. Workers can still contact the Merit Review Service team during the merit review process for support and clarification. Email email@example.com or call (02) 9284 2284.
Where can I find more information?
Information on workers compensation, work capacity disputes and the merit review process is available on the SIRA website.
For a detailed explanation of the merit review process, refer to the Dispute Resolution Services guide to Workers Compensation Merits Reviews and the Guidelines for claiming workers compensation 2016 [PDF].
There are a number of step-by-step guides to help workers and insurers navigate the portal. You can find these with the portal at here.
You can also contact the Merit Review Service on firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9284 2284.
We are always on the lookout for ways to improve our customer services and we are eager to hear any feedback you might have.