Which health professionals can now issue subsequent certificates?

From the 17 April 2020, treating physiotherapists and treating psychologists who have general registration under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW) No 86a, as well as medical practitioners, can now issue subsequent certificates of fitness.

Treating physiotherapists and treating psychologists must be providing treatment for all of a claimant’s injuries as a result of the motor accident. A physiotherapist or psychologist cannot issue a Certificate of capacity/certificate of fitness – treating physiotherapist or psychologist if an injured person is receiving treatment from different health practitioners (apart from their medical practitioner).

Note the amendments do not change the requirement that an initial certificate of fitness needs be issued by a medical practitioner.