In this edition: Review of consultation process for the Guidelines for claiming workers compensation.
How are we doing? Review of the consultation process for the Guidelines for claiming workers compensation
We are seeking feedback on the Guidelines for claiming workers compensation (Guidelines) published in August 2016 and invite stakeholders to provide comment on its format and content, as well as the consultation and implementation process undertaken for the release.
Your feedback will help inform further revision to the Guidelines. It will also influence stakeholder consultation in future reviews.
There are two ways you can submit your feedback:
- complete the online survey (approximately 15 minutes) before 13 October 2017.
- submit a free-form written response before 13 October 2017.
Please email PolicyDesignWHBCR-SIRA@sira.nsw.gov.au if you have any questions regarding this review, or to submit your free-form response.
SIRA released the updated Guidelines for claiming workers compensation in August 2016. This document was developed in accordance with the Workers Compensation Act 1987, Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 and the Workers Compensation Regulation 2010 (now superseded) in order to support, inform and guide workers, employers, insurers and other stakeholders in the process of claiming workers compensation in NSW.
By revising the Guidelines, we aimed to:
- update and consolidate multiple guidelines including:
- WorkCover Guidelines for claiming compensation benefits (2013)
- Guidelines for work capacity (2013)
- Guidelines for work capacity decision internal reviews by insurers and merit reviews by the Authority (2013)
- WorkCover Guidelines for the provision of domestic assistance (2004)
- implement recommendations from the Review of the exercise of the functions of the WorkCover Authority from the Standing Committee on Law and Justice dated 17 September 2014
- reduce over-prescription and repetition
- include additional content where allowed by legislative provision
- use plain English so all stakeholders could access and understand them
- consult extensively with stakeholders to ensure the final document was fit for purpose.
We are committed to reviewing the complete suite of SIRA (and WorkCover) guidelines that are currently in place and we will be seeking stakeholder input in this process. We anticipate the consultation to be conducted during September and October this year.
Further information will be provided in upcoming bulletins.