Getting professional help

Most people recover well from injuries with information and treatment from health professionals, such as doctors, physiotherapists, chiropractors or osteopaths.

These health professionals will work with you, your family and the insurer to help you stay at work or return to work and other usual activities as soon as possible. If you need help with your recovery, start by speaking to your doctor.

The insurer can pay for treatment, rehabilitation or care services that are:

  • directly related to your injuries
  • going to help you get back to your usual activities
  • right for your type of injury
  • provided by appropriately qualified health professionals
  • cost effective
alert icon

Treatment approval

Your health professional must give the insurer information about your treatment plan and get approval before starting any treatment.

How to get the most out of your recovery

Take an active role in your treatment and rehabilitation program or care services.

This includes seeking treatment as early as possible and following treatment advice such as home exercise programs. If you are not improving, talk to your doctor about other options.

If your treatment and rehabilitation is more complex, you may see several different health professionals. In some cases, a specialist case manager or rehabilitation provider may work with you, your family, health professionals, your workplace and the insurer to coordinate your recovery plan.

You should make sure that everyone involved shares information and works with you to set and achieve your goals for recovery.

Further information

If you are caring for someone who has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident in New South Wales, visit icare for helpful information.