Eligibility for insurance

You need to get a certificate of eligibility before you can apply for insurance if you need to do residential building work valued at over $20,000 inclusive of GST.

A certificate of eligibility means that you’ve been assessed by icare and have been granted the entitlement to apply for a certificate of insurance.

You apply for eligibility through an insurance broker.

A list of current brokers able to apply for eligibility on your behalf is available from icare, along with information about the application process and documents you may need to provide.

If you are not satisfied with a decision about your eligibility, see our information about disputes.