Making a claim

This page has information on the process to follow to make a claim.

As a homeowner, if you suffer a financial loss because a builder or tradesperson fails to start or complete the building work, or fails to fix defective work, you are able to make a claim under a contract for home building compensation insurance if they’ve:

  • become insolvent ,
  • died or disappeared, or
  • had their licence suspended because they did not pay you compensation that had been ordered by a tribunal or court (only if your policy was issued on or after 19 May 2009).

All insurance policies issued from 1 February 2012 provide a cover of $340,000. An excess fee of $250 applies.

SIRA and Fair Trading regulate the home building compensation system. icare are the ones who manage policies (through insurance agents). Follow the process below to make a claim:.

2. Insurance coverage