The information for osteopaths will differ depending on which system you work in. Please select which compensation system your client is in

Choose to get started:

Motor accidents

In brief

Your role includes:

  • conducting appropriate assessment, goal setting in conjunction with the injured person and providing the best treatment to help the injured person achieve their goals
  • providing treatment for injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident to enable the injured person to resume participation in pre-injury activities that have been restricted by the motor vehicle accident related injuries
  • empowering the injured person to manage their injury and recovery
  • monitoring progress towards the injured person’s goal (for improved capacity/function) and adjusting the treatment plan as required
  • communicating and collaborating with key parties (for example, general practitioner, other allied health practitioners, case managers, rehabilitation providers and insurers) to achieve common goals.

At all times your practice needs to adhere to the relevant professional code of conduct and/or legislation of the relevant board or association.

The single allied health practitioner role does not include:

  • making referrals or coordinating the injured person’s recovery at work
  • advocating for the injured person in relation to the management of their claim or coaching them through litigation or other compensation processes
  • providing services that are not related to the injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident.

Providing allied health services in the NSW CTP schemes - FAQs is a step by step guide on how to provide osteopathy services.

Forms you might need:

You will need the allied health recovery request (AHRR). Please read this information on the AHRR before you use this form for the first time. You can also find the form on this page. All osteopaths are required to submit an AHRR when seeking approval for treatment services.

Fees and invoicing

alert icon

Get treatment approval first

If the insurer denies liability, or declines a treatment request because it does not meet 'reasonable and necessary' criteria, your patient is personally responsible for payment of accounts. So before treating your patient please confirm they have submitted a CTP claim and you have approval from the insurer to start treatment.

Insurers must provide a written response within 10 days of the request being received

SIRA currently does not have gazetted fees for osteopaths working with a motor accident claimant with the exception of a $35.60 (plus GST) fee for the initial allied health recovery request (AHRR). Subsequent AHRRs do not attract a fee and should be completed as part of the standard consultation cost.

As the osteopath you can negotiate with the CTP insurer:

  • agreed fees and costs for providing approved treatment
  • payment for any request for additional reports or opinions on a claimant’s treatment or progress
  • payment for completion of the rehabilitation services request, attendant care request, equipment request or agreed goals of rehabilitation if required to be completed

What can I do to get paid quickest?

To facilitate prompt payment by a CTP Green Slip insurer, we suggest you:

  • include the appropriate service code with your invoice
  • issue the account in the form of a tax invoice and include the:
    • injured person’s name
    • date of accident
    • insurer’s reference/claim number
    • provider’s ABN, address and GST (if applicable)
  • send accounts directly to the CTP Green Slip insurer. It is difficult to ensure timely submission of accounts by other parties (for example, an injured person or their solicitor)
  • direct all enquiries about payment to the claims officer you have been dealing with.

Without prejudice payments

The CTP Green Slip insurer may agree to pay for treatment on a ‘without prejudice’ basis.

Without prejudice means that although the insurer has agreed to pay for treatment, it does not mean they are accepting liability for the accident or will pay for ongoing treatment once they have determined liability.

Agreement to pay without prejudice should be obtained in writing from the insurer before services are provided.

Service Codes

Please include the appropriate service code/s with your invoice. These are available in Providing allied health services in the NSW CTP schemes - FAQs.

Do I need a service provider number?

Osteopaths don’t need a SIRA provider number to deliver treatment services in the motor accidents scheme.

Workers compensation

Osteopaths are allied health professionals who specialise in the treatment of the musculoskeletal system and guide workers to transition to a self-managed program.

In brief

Osteopaths are registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and approved by us to provide treatment and facilitate a safe and durable recovery at work.

Osteopaths must be approved by us (issued a provider number) to deliver treatment services in the NSW workers compensation system.

Please read this information on the allied health recovery request (AHRR) before you use this form for the first time. All SIRA approved osteopaths must submit an AHRR when seeking pre-approval for treatment services.

A workers compensation guide for allied health practitioners provides essential information regarding the delivery of treatment services in the NSW workers compensation system. We also strongly recommend you view our 15 minute webinar on the Allied Health Practitioner Framework.

The workers compensation guidelines provides additional information on how the claims process works, and what type of payments and expenses may be available.

You might need to know about the Certificate of Capacity.

Forms you might need:

Publications you might need

Fees and invoicing

The fees orders provide a maximum fee for services provided to a worker. You can't exceed the maximum fees stated in the Fees Order.

All fees you can charge are listed in the relevant fee order below:

When invoicing, we have a payment system that requires itemised invoices. This system enables consistent data collection from service providers and insurers and ensures accurate payments.

What your invoices will need to include

  • worker's first and last name, and claim number
  • payee details
  • ABN
  • name of the medical practitioner or service provider who provided the service
  • SIRA workers compensation approval number or medical practitioner's Health Insurance Commission provider number (where applicable)
  • date of service
  • SIRA workers compensation payment classification code or AMA item number where applicable. Refer to either the claims technical manual for:
  • service cost for each SIRA workers compensation payment classification code or AMA item number and service duration (if applicable)
  • date of invoice (must be on the day of or after last date of service listed on the invoice)

To prevent delays in payment, these details will need to be provided on all invoices.

Invoices should be submitted within 30 calendar days of the service being provided.

Send your invoices to the worker’s insurer.

Do I need a SIRA provider number?

Yes. If you're an osteopath you must have a SIRA provider number to provide treatment services to workers in the NSW workers compensation system.

alert icon

Did you know

Did you know? All allied health practitioners formerly approved by WorkCover NSW are now deemed to be approved by SIRA. Their provider number remains the same.

The SIRA provider number is specific to the allied health practitioner and must be provided on all tax invoices and requests to the insurer. Services must not be delivered by any other person using the allied health practitioner's provider number.

You are not required to obtain a new provider number for each different location where you deliver services or if you change your employment. However, you must notify SIRA of any change in you contact details within 14 days by email to

How do I get a SIRA provider number?

Review the guideline for approval of treating allied health practitioners and then complete the application form

If you meet the appropriate qualifications and requirements, you must satisfactorily complete the three-part allied health practitioner online training course. This is to ensure all practitioners working within the NSW workers compensation system are:

  • appropriately skilled to help workers achieve a safe and durable recovery at/return to work, and
  • aware of requirements for the delivery of services in the system.

The online training program is administered by the Personal Injury Education Foundation (PIEF) and costs $300 (GST-exempt). To access the training click here.

Once you have successfully completed the online training, you download and complete the application form and submit with all relevant documents to

Please note: you must obtain confirmation from us that your SIRA provider number is active before delivering treatment services.

What about practitioners approved prior to 1 April 2015?

If you have previously completed the mandatory face to face training and obtained WorkCover approval you are not required to complete this training. We do however encourage you to do the training as it provides practical information regarding the delivery of services in the current NSW workers compensation system, which has changed significantly since the face to face training was conducted. Part 3 of the online training is now available for allied health practitioners who have previously completed the face-to-face workshops.

When you register and enrol, you will need to pay the course cost of $140.

Further information

Independent consultants (peer reviews)

Independent consultants are approved by us to provide independent peer review of, and advice, to allied health practitioners regarding injury management.

If you would like the assistance of an independent consultant visit independent consultants.

Where required, you must participate in a review by an independent consultant as outlined in the guideline for approval of treating allied health practitioners.

Provider/assessor search

You can find a workers compensation provider/assessor here