If you’re a medical assessor appointed by SIRA in the motor accidents scheme, use these guidelines and other documents to ensure you provide accurate and consistent medical assessments.
Medical assessors must be appointed by SIRA and listed on our website:
For accidents before 1 December, 2017, medical assessors must follow the:
- Medical assessment guidelines
- Motor Accident Permanent Impairment Guidelines - effective from 1 June 2018 (that apply to accident that occurred between 5 October 1999 and 30 November 2017)
- Code of conduct
- Terms of appointment
- Fee schedule
For accidents on or after 1 December 2017, medical assessors must follow the:
- Motor Accident Guidelines - Part 7 Dispute resolution (medical assessment)
- Motor Accident Guidelines (effective from 13 July 2018) - Part 6: Permanent Impairment (that apply for accidents that occurred on and after 1 December 2017)
- Code of conduct for decision-makers of the Dispute Resolution Service
- Terms of appointment of Decision-Makers of the Dispute Resolution Service
The Motor Accidents Medical Assessor Guidance Notes are currently being updated.
Please contact wpienquiryMAIR@sira.nsw.gov.au or call 1300 656 919 for assistance relating to the Guidance material.
Specific injuries information
We also issue guidance material for medical assessors to use in assessing specific injuries:
- Brain injury assessment fact sheet
- Neuropsychological assessment fact sheet for the injured person, relatives and significant others
Minor skin injuries
Minor dental injuries
Periorbital injury involving minor scarring or disfigurement
Spine and consequential injuries
Judgment of the Supreme Court Nguyen v the Motor Accident Authority of NSW & Zurich Australian Insurance Ltd  NSWSC 351.
Medical assessors should use the medical examination assessment examination checklist in documenting all the clinical findings specific to assessing permanent impairment of spine, upper and lower extremity, and nervous system.
If you have a question about permanent impairment, email wpienquiryMAIR@sira.nsw.gov.au for a response within five working days.