Hearing service providers

Hearing service providers must be approved by SIRA and are able to provide hearing aids (and rehabilitation) to workers with hearing loss as a result of noise in the workplace.

Providing hearing aids

The supply of hearing aids to a worker must be approved by the insurer.

In determining whether hearing aids are reasonably necessary treatment, an insurer may consider:

  • medical information, including an audiogram establishing hearing loss was related to employment, and
  • a quote for the cost of the hearing aids that does not exceed the maximum identified in the SIRA Hearing Aid Fees Order.

Replacing hearing aids

Hearing aids can be replaced when the hearing aid:

  • has been lost or damaged and is not covered by warranty or other insurance, or
  • the worker can no longer communicate effectively using the current hearing aid.

You need to complete a request a replacement hearing aid form when requesting a replacement.

Assessment of need

  • The nominated treating doctor (NTD) will determine an appropriate assessment and the treatment needs of the worker. The NTD may refer the worker to an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist to assess the degree of any hearing loss, relationship to the worker's employment and whether hearing aids are reasonably necessary.

Please note, if a claim for lump sum compensation is to be made for work related hearing loss, an assessment must be undertaken by an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Specialist who is a trained assessor of permanent impairment listed on the SIRA website.

If the ENT is assessing permanent impairment, they will also determine

  • the level of binaural hearing loss, and
  • the proportion of the hearing loss that is attributable to workplace noise.

Forms you might need:

Publications you might need:

Fees and invoicing

alert icon

Get treatment approval first

If the insurer denies liability, or declines a treatment request because it does not meet 'reasonably necessary' criteria, your patient is personally responsible for payment of accounts.

So before treating your patient please confirm they have submitted a workers compensation claim, and that you have approval from the insurer to start treatment.

The fees orders provide a maximum fee for services provided to a worker. You can't exceed the maximum fees stated in the Fees Order.

All fees you can charge are listed in the Fees Orders below:

When invoicing, we have a payment system that requires itemised invoices. This system enables consistent data collection from service providers and insurers and ensures accurate payments.

What your invoices will need to include

  • worker's first and last name, and claim number
  • payee details
  • ABN
  • name of the medical practitioner or service provider who provided the service
  • SIRA workers compensation approval number or medical practitioner's Health Insurance Commission provider number (where applicable)
  • date of service
  • SIRA workers compensation payment classification code or AMA item number where applicable. Refer to either the claims technical manual for:
  • service cost for each SIRA workers compensation payment classification code or AMA item number and service duration (if applicable)
  • date of invoice (must be on the day of or after last date of service listed on the invoice)

To prevent delays in payment, these details will need to be provided on all invoices.

Invoices should be submitted within 30 calendar days of the service being provided.

Send your invoices to the worker’s insurer.

Do I need a SIRA provider number?

Yes. If you're a hearing service provider you must have a SIRA provider number to provide hearing services to workers in the NSW workers compensation system.

How do I become approved?

If you are a contracted hearing service provider with the Office of Hearing Services you can apply for a SIRA provider number.

First review the guideline for approval of treating allied health practitioners and then complete the hearing service provider application form (interactive). If you have difficulties with the interactive form you can download and print this static form.

Submit it to

Approval of hearing service providers

Any contracted hearing service provider with the Office of Hearing Services is eligible to apply for SIRA approval as a hearing service provider.

To apply, fill out the hearing service provider application form (interactive) and submit to

If you have difficulties with the interactive form you can fill out this static form.

You can email or call 13 10 50 for more information.

Further information

The workers compensation guidelines provide additional information on how the claims process works, and what type of payments and expenses may be available.