Claims with uninsured employers

If you have received a work related injury and your employer is uninsured, you can still make a claim for workers compensation benefits.

If you are unable to identify your employer's insurer you can call us on 13 10 50.

If your employer does not have a workers compensation insurance policy and is not a self-insurer, you can make a claim through  icare Claims Support Services on 1800 221 960 or email them on

icare may conduct investigations to help determine liability and/or seek further information.

These investigations are to determine:

  • the actual employer who employed you
  • whether the employer who employed you was actually uninsured
  • whether you are a worker as defined by the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998
  • whether the injury for which you are claiming compensation occurred while you were working for the nominated employer and the employment was a substantial contributing factor to the injury.

There are heavy penalties for employers who fail to have a current workers compensation insurance policy.

For further information you can also call us on 13 10 50.