Who do I claim with?

If you need to make a CTP claim, you will first need to know the insurer of the vehicle you believe is most at fault. If you don’t know which insurer that is, we can find out for you.

All you need to do is enter your details and what you know about the accident into our online tool, CTP Connect.

CTP Connect will automatically send your details to the right insurer, who will then contact you.

Or you can call CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 or email

We'll check in with you later to see if there's anything else we can do to help.

You can only use CTP Connect if your accident occurred on or after 1 December 2017. If your accident was before that, please call CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 for help.

Before you get started, here's some things you should know:

CTP Connect is not a claim form

Entering your information into CTP Connect does not lodge your claim.

It gets you started by connecting you with the insurer, who will be in contact with you throughout the claim process.

If you want to lodge your claim now, select either:

You will need the registration number of the vehicle you believe is most at fault

You can't complete CTP Connect without it.

If you don't know the registration number (license plate), you might be able to get it from police. Look at your police report, or contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

You need to take all reasonable steps to find the registration number, but if you can't you can still make a claim. Call CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 for more information.

If you believe that you are at fault, you can still make a claim. You will need to provide the registration number of the vehicle you were driving.

Who can fill out CTP Connect?

You can use CTP Connect if:

  • you've been injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW on or after 1 December 2017
  • you have (or are likely to have) medical expenses and/or loss of income
  • you have not yet lodged a claim for this injury.

Another person (such as a friend or family member) can also fill out CTP Connect for you.

What information will I need to provide?

You won't need to include any formal documents or detailed descriptions. All you'll need at this stage is:

  • basic personal information and contact details
  • some details of the accident (such as date, description of vehicle, location)
  • the registration number of the vehicle you believe to be most at fault.

We're here to help

If you need help, call SIRA’s CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 between 8.30 am-5 pm weekdays. Or you can email

If you leave a voice message or email after hours, we will call you back the next business day.