Apply for compensation for a relative (financial support)

The death of someone in a motor vehicle accident can impose serious hardship on their dependants. The CTP Scheme recognises this and allows some dependants to make a claim for compensation.

Who can apply?

Compensation is only available to relatives who were dependent on the deceased person financially or for some service at the time of their death. Relatives with no financial or service dependency to the individual cannot claim.

Family relationships are all different, so the definition of ‘dependent’ is quite broad. The most common dependents are partners (spouse) or children of the deceased person.

Our CTP Assist team can help you understand who can apply for this compensation. You can contact them on 1300 656 919 or

You can also download a PDF fact sheet on how to appy for compensation for relatives

How to apply

1. Fill out the form: You need to complete the application to compensate relatives form. The form will ask you (the claimant) to detail your relationship with the deceased person including the support you were receiving at the time your relative died. Please write down as much detail as possible.

2. Attach documents: Anything that helps the insurers to assess the claim can be included. This can include proof of the accident (eg any photos, police/ambulance reports) and proof of the relationship (eg marriage/relationship certificate or birth certificate). If you don’t include something, don’t worry. The insurer will let you know if they need more information to assess the claim.

3. Send to the insurer: If you don't know which insurer to make a claim through we can help you. Either go to who do I claim with? and fill out the online form or contact CTP Assist directly on 1300 656 919 or

What happens next?

1. The insurer will contact you after lodging a claim, acknowledging receipt and providing advice on the next steps in the process.

This will include a claim number and the contact details of the insurer.

2. The insurer will investigate your claim including reviewing the police report and other evidence such as medical reports you have given.

You may be asked provide additional information.

3. The insurer must tell you if they're accepting or denying the claim (along with a full explanation of their reasons).  This must include the consequences of the decision (eg effects on your entitlements and when it will take effect), a list and copies of the information used by the insurer in making the decisions (if not already given), how the decision can be reviewed, and where to go for further help.

What if I disagree with the insurer?

Your first step is to request an internal review by the insurer. This is where another person within the insurer (who was not involved in the original decision or action) is asked to review and a new decision and provide a response.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome you may make an application for review of that decision by our Dispute Resolution Service.

Our CTP Assist team can help you with the claims process. Contact them on 1300 656 919 or