Home Building Compensation claims

Here is a step-by-step guide to making a claim through the Home Building Compensation (HBC) Scheme.

You can only do this if:

  • your builder is unable to complete building work or fix defects because they have become insolvent, died, disappeared or had their licence suspended for failing to compensate a homeowner.
  • you have valid HBC cover. You can check the validity of your cover using the HBC Check.

3. If there's a dispute

If you’re not satisfied with the decision taken by the licensed HBC provider, you have a right of appeal.

See home building compensation disputes for more information on that process.