Home Building Compensation claims

Here is a step-by-step guide to making a claim through the Home Building Compensation (HBC) Scheme.

You can only do this if:

  • your builder is unable to complete building work or fix defects because they have become insolvent, died, disappeared or had their licence suspended for failing to compensate a homeowner.
  • you have valid HBC cover. You can check the validity of your cover using the HBC Check.

2. Lodge your claim

If the HBC cover was issued on or after 1 July 2010, information about how to lodge a claim can be found on icare's website.

Once you have lodged a claim and submitted other required information, the HBC provider will carry out an investigation. The insurer will make a decision and provide you with a written explanation of that decision. They can either:

  • accept the claim, or
  • reject the claim (in whole or part)

They must provide reasons for the decision.

This is a brief description of the claims process. Please contact us if you need more information on lodging a claim.

See here for a list of former home building compensation providers.