This program enables your employer to make alternative staffing arrangements (for example employ a casual staff member or offer overtime to existing staff) to do the duties or hours you are unable to do while you recover at work.
Did you know? A micro employer is a business with five full time or equivalent workers or less and a basic tariff premium of $30,000 or less.
The program is available for up to six weeks within the first 13 weeks of a claim.
How does it work?
The insurer will continue to pay your full entitlement to weekly payments while you participate in a recover at work plan and build capacity so you can return to your pre-injury duties and hours. The insurer will also pay your travel costs while you participate in this program.
Your employer pays the alternative worker’s wages (or overtime for existing staff).
You are eligible if you:
- are receiving weekly payments
- have current work capacity
- use the program within 13 weeks from the date of the injury.
Micro employers are eligible if they:
- can demonstrate that they have employed a casual worker to complete the worker’s duties or are paying other workers overtime in order to complete these duties, and these arrangements have resulted in financial difficulty
- can demonstrate a commitment to your worker’s recovery at work.
Read the return to work assist program for micro employers guidance material for more information.
How to apply
Speak to the insurer about this program. They will advise whether you and your employer are eligible.
A workplace rehabilitation provider will conduct a workplace assessment and prepare a recovery at work plan in consultation with you, your employer and your doctor.
A member of your support team will:
- complete the vocational program details form
- confirm agreement from the insurer
- arrange payment for program costs using the vocational claim for payment form
- complete the vocational program closure report.
For information on what to do when a request to use a SIRA funded program has not been approved see appeal process for workers fact sheet.