2. How do I determine if someone is a worker for whom I need to provide insurance?

There are many types of workers and contractors who may be required to be covered by your workers compensation policy.

It is important to understand the different types of workers to see:

  • if they are considered a 'worker' of yours and need to be covered by your workers compensation policy
  • if you should be declaring their wages
  • how their premium is calculated

Some workers are 'deemed' to be workers engaged by you and must be covered by your workers compensation policy, however their wages are declared differently.

Schedule 1 of the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 provides a comprehensive list of 'deemed' workers.

Worker Status Tool

You can also use the Work Status Tool to help determine the status of workers.

The tool should only be used as a guide. To formally determine a worker’s status, you will need to lodge a private ruling.

Private rulings

If you're an employer, we can  help you determine whether a person is a worker or contractor for premium calculation purposes.

If you want to apply for a private ruling you need to fill out this online application form.

A private ruling does not impact upon a person’s ability to lodge a workers compensation claim nor can it be used in any claims-related matters.