Applying for insurance

You must take out home building compensation insurance for each residential building project you do, valued at over $20,000 inclusive of GST, with some exceptions. You can apply for insurance through an insurance broker.

Your insurance broker will provide advice and arrange insurance through icare. A list of current brokers can be found on icare's website,

Further information

Do I need home building compensation insurance?

Find out more about the current scheme, what it covers, and when it is possible to apply for an exemption.

Getting a licence

In NSW, only a builder or tradesperson who is licensed is allowed to carry out building work with a value over $5000.

All specialist work, regardless of its cost, must also only be done by a tradesperson licensed in the relevant category of specialist work. Specialist work includes:

  • electrical wiring
  • disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment
  • plumbing
  • draining
  • gasfitting
  • air conditioning and refrigeration work (except plug-in appliances)

NSW Fair Trading’s website has information on applying for a licence.