Home building compensation disputes

If you’ve put in a claim and you’re not satisfied with a decision made by your insurance agent/insurer, you have a right of appeal.

For home owners

Insurers are required to have an effective internal complaint handling process in place.

If you are not satisfied with a decision on a claim by your insurance agent, you are entitled to request a review of the decision by the insurance agent.

If the matter is not resolved, you can then request that it be escalated to the insurance agent’s claims committee and potentially to the icare claims committee.

You also have a right of appeal to the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) (or the District Court where the amount involved exceeds the tribunal’s $500,000 jurisdictional limit).

We can only investigate a complaint against an insurer approved under the Home Building Act 1989 to provide insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund in NSW, if they fail to comply with legal requirements or conditions of approval to operate in the market of insurance under the fund (including the market practice guidelines, claims handling guidelines (or any other condition imposed by the Minister).